Skip to main content

Tale of a Mother...



 
                    The human brain is tricky; at times it reminds you about things that have no part to play in your life’s big decisions. Yet the smallest portion of your memories can pop up as an inspiration to move on in life. You know what is trickier than this? Nature...




Nature makes us feel we know everything, but it teaches us only what it decides we should know. The rest of it always remains a secret forever. Not just our future is a mystery but there may be events of the past that have not given the real answers and eventually we just assume the happenings with our imagination.
This happened about ... (huh.. I don’t remember exactly, but probably) twelve years ago.


The flashback 

Squeakkkkkkk.....................squeakkkk

Ma...What is that sound?” I asked in bewilderment since it came from our bedroom. My mom was busy cleaning the room- as how the usual Sundays pass by. “What sound? I dint hear anything”.
Squeak...
This the time she heard it and gave a confused reaction and came near the bed. “Oh... I heard it again, it is from your trunk box” my sister and I shared a scary look.
We jumped off our bed and pulled the trunk box out, and then I noticed a black ball running out of it. It was very fast. 

Oh no.. it is a mouse, how did it get in?” my sister questioned in surprise, seeing it run away. It is a surprise how these creatures find their way in.
That the trunk has all our old birthday dresses. Each has got memories stitched to it, so we dint want it to get ruined. We opened it and started taking the clothes out to check for any damages. The dresses unfolded some childhood memories. “Ma... Do you remember this dress???” I gave my mom a winky smile. “Yes... You wore that only once. But created a huge scene at the shop asking for it....” I laughed at that and said, “it looked soo nice in the shop ma...”.
Will you wear this again anytime?” she pulled my sister’s tenth birthday skirt and asked hiding an idea of altering that dress. “Maybe or maybe not.... let it be there ma..” sissy responded knowing her intentions...Then I noticed some weird thing on top of a dress... It was more like a ball of flesh.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ewwww ..We both moved back. 

This is when our mothers become the ‘supermom’ and step in for our rescue. She took a close look at it and exclaimed “oops it is that mouse’s babies” !!!
Wow....what shall we do now?” they look weird but in a way cute too...poor things,” I said and looked at mom. Who still was giving it a ‘what to do’ - look. And then she said, “We should throw it out, cannot grow this disease-nurturing creature inside the home”.
What???? Just throw? What ma... how could you tell this?? They are small babies..”  I couldn’t believe her suggestion.

Then, what is your plan dear? To grow these babies inside your trunk till they carve all the dresses and papers and watch it runs here and there,  after their visits from drainage pipes???” sissy asked with sarcasm but filled with valid points and she added “but WE won’t do that ma....”  giving a ‘we are sorry’- look at mom we moved away.
Mothers have no choice at times. They do these kinds of cruel things just to make sure their kids are safe and healthy. They shouldn’t be blamed for this. Anyhow she threw the babies to the bare land behind our house and made sure the trunk was locked properly after rearranging our dresses. Hours flew; we almost forgot about the incident and started minding our own businesses.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was midnight when I woke up hearing a thud sound underneath our bed. I stayed awake trying to guess what it could be.
Thud’... there it is again and this time sissy opened her eyes to see me already awake... ‘Thud
Did you hear that?” she asked me.
 yes...what is it?”

I don’t know...maybe... oh... heard it again? It’s under our bed” ‘thud’ ‘thud...

We stared at each other in the shade of a bed lamp... “Where is the torch, go and get it. We will check” sissy said to me. “I don’t know...Maybe we both should get the torch and check together”. I was a little scared for sure. After few minutes of pause, we got off clenching hands and took the torch from the table four steps away from the bed, and got in back. Now, who will look what it is? We could hear the sound repeatedly, and it won’t stop. Lighting the torch we both looked down the bed to see a mouse hitting the trunk box!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



We dint know what to do. We looked again. The mouse was trying to bite the trunk lid, repeatedly hitting hard to crack it open with its teeny tiny head.
We sat on a bed filled with guilt. The mouse had come to get back to her babies. Not knowing that they were thrown out early that day. She was trying to open it without losing hope, to feed her kids. Sissy and I felt deep sorrow. we sat in silence for few more minutes.
‘Thud..thud...thud’... she was not going to give up on her babies. This continued for about an hour. We tried making hissing noises to scare her away. After a few of our trials, she stopped her efforts. Later then, Sissy and I went back to sleep in silence, hoping not to get any nightmares.
The long night passed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wake upcall from dad came early that morning because it was Monday; school days!!. ... We got up scratching our lazy eyes. Brushing teeth with drooping eyes I vaguely heard dad mentioning words like mouse and Water. I went into the kitchen to see what it was. “What mouse dad?”
.
Oh...nothing, I saw a dead mouse inside a bucket of water outside, today morning. Don’t know how it got trapped in. Maybe it slipped in accidentally... anyways you kids get ready, don’t be late for school” and he walked in haste to get ready for office.
Sissy had already come in hearing what dad was telling, we both shared ‘oh no!!’-look at each other. It might be the mother mouse we scared off yesterday night.
We got ready for school and almost forgot about all the squeaks...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Days passed...Years flew ...but at times I still hear my memory squeaking, asking many questions. ‘Was that dead mouse the ‘mother mouse’?’, ‘if it were, did that mouse accidentally slipped into the water? Or did it jump on purpose as it lost its kids?’

May be.... or Maybe Not!!!

The history remains a mystery....but from the little I know about nature, I like to assume this as nature’s lesson as :
No matter what creature it is, nothing can beat the mother’s love.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-                                                                                            -Dedicating this to all the mothers, whose love makes the world survive.
-                                                                                        -I apologize to you ‘mother mouse’ for that night and I will always remember you deep in my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tale of Love

THE MEOW @ 3AM Meerrrowww......mreo... I could hear this vague sound getting more intense as time passed. I tried harder to open my eyes for I was having a beautiful film made inside my eyes. I could see only darkness or dint I open my eyes yet? Oh, yea, it was midnight and that explained the darkness. ‘ Mrew ’ that feeble voice rang again inside my ears. I turned my face left to see Pichku standing on her two legs supporting on the bed facing my ears so that her sound waves will penetrate directly into my eardrums. Gosh, I wished my bed had longer legs!!! ‘It's 3 a.m., what do you want?’ my eyes asked Pichku. With her dilated eyes she replied ‘What the hell, it's early morning for me, come on feed me!!’...MREEWW I threw my blanket away and got off the bed to be lead by that little four-legged creature. She pointed her ears back to make sure I was following her. She directed me to the kitchen and sat. Thanks to people who manufactured readymade pet food. I put

"One Usual October Night "

     A usual night on October 28-2011, after a nice dinner, I was thinking about what to do. Mom was in a small walk outdoors and dad hadn’t reached the nest yet. Without any intention, I came out to take a look at my mom and heard a small meow...      Mom’s reaction was obvious: “oh! Not again” and I sensed the situation. She saw the kitty on the lawn and was trying to hide that from ‘me –the pet lover’. But does this kitty know that? It let out another desperate cry. I got a smile over my face and asked my mom “can we have this one at least? it was desperate on my part now, as every time I faced a rejection to this request alone. Mom was confused and giving no answer she just walked in. I got to look at that little one... it had peculiar glowing eyes with a natural eye line...which made her look beautiful. Offering her some milk I left her out...Within no time she finished the drink and came in with me. 'The new member of the family' Dad gave me permis

One Childhood memory

The onion peel... “ Do you remember the time we had that fight ?” she asked me gazing at a door.  “ Which one are you asking about, coz we had a lot of fights ”, I dint know what she was asking. Even my aunt didn’t get what her daughter mentioned. “ Which one Ady ?” aunt added on to my enthusiasm. That was a reunion of our family in remembrance of our grandfather’s death anniversary.  The day we all get to meet everyone after a long year. Grandma her children and grandchildren gather there to pray for the souls of great grandfathers, up in the sky and cook food as a feat of tradition. At the end of the day, we also maintained a tradition of having good family time and chit chats; we all sit together and talk all nonsense. It seems like to be in the market, where all merchants shout out loud to sell their own products. Here we all want to share our different stories.  Ady popped that question to me after a long family talk.  Since no one knew what she was mentioning, she